I’ve been talking a lot lately about xTimeline and Dipity as educationally interesting timeline tools. I think the idea of a small group of students collaborating on a case study or other temporal data to be presented, incorporating multimedia and doing this all wiki-style and reducing the need for as much face-to-face (F2F) time … well, seems pretty cool to me. 🙂
I recently discovered that Dipity also has a couple interesting mashup tools, connection the timeline function with either Flickr (with the mashup version known as Tickr) or YouTube (mashup known as TimeTube).
Now that bit right there is VERY interesting for exploring emerging trends and new events. To take it to another level, the Flickr mashup (Tickr) creates an embeddable view you can share with others and use on your blog or website. Could be extremely interesting for a public relations or conceptual type of course or project.
Here is an example from the recent Iowa Flood. See what you think. Remember, this is interactive, so go ahead — scroll around in it, use the buttons, click on pictures — see what happens. Fun!
Tickr (by Dipity): Iowa Flood:
- Time lapse in progress! By @djphotovideo FYI marqueA2 @billchase2edu swarmapp.com/c/9itP47TE64n https://t.co/zUVCImhL4H 1 hour ago
- RT @DavidsonCollege: This reading list will provide a little inspiration for everyone, whether toward summer reading or lifelong learning h… 2 hours ago
- RT @annfoxdavidson: The Neglected Demographic: Faculty Members With Disabilities - The Chronicle of Higher Education https://t.co/RDi37LQ4V… 2 hours ago
- RT @JayRuderman: It is unacceptable that President @realdonaldtrump referred to @JoeNBC as “psycho,” perpetuating stigmas against people w/… 2 hours ago
- RT @DisabilityPAC: Celebrating the 4th by launching a campaign demanding our senators #DefendIndependence. Medicaid = freedom for PWD https… 2 hours ago