I’ve been talking a lot lately about xTimeline and Dipity as educationally interesting timeline tools. I think the idea of a small group of students collaborating on a case study or other temporal data to be presented, incorporating multimedia and doing this all wiki-style and reducing the need for as much face-to-face (F2F) time … well, seems pretty cool to me. 🙂
I recently discovered that Dipity also has a couple interesting mashup tools, connection the timeline function with either Flickr (with the mashup version known as Tickr) or YouTube (mashup known as TimeTube).
Now that bit right there is VERY interesting for exploring emerging trends and new events. To take it to another level, the Flickr mashup (Tickr) creates an embeddable view you can share with others and use on your blog or website. Could be extremely interesting for a public relations or conceptual type of course or project.
Here is an example from the recent Iowa Flood. See what you think. Remember, this is interactive, so go ahead — scroll around in it, use the buttons, click on pictures — see what happens. Fun!
Tickr (by Dipity): Iowa Flood:
- Acetaminophen Toxicity emedicine.medscape.com/article/820200… 2 minutes ago
- Suicidal teens turn to Tylenol timesunion.com/local/article/… 5 minutes ago
- RT @TextraHealth: T3: The secret is to listen first, seek to understand and then reply. By doing this you build a connection with people an… 5 minutes ago
- Fading flowers (@ Galleria Market in Ann Arbor, MI) swarmapp.com/c/01nvBwqzBmM https://t.co/vAzQF0Kqnw 21 minutes ago
- Fading flowers (@ Faber Piano Institute in Ann Arbor, MI) swarmapp.com/c/0FqWg9c8r3m https://t.co/yk6YRWtO9m 22 minutes ago