Tuesday Google announced their own virtual world, Lively.
ReadWriteWeb: Google Launches Virtual World: http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/lively_google_launches_virtual.php
Here is the Lively homepage, http://www.lively.com/.
It doesn’t like Macintoshes (and is kind of persnickety on PCs, even).
I borrowed a PC to test it out. It requires that you download a browser plugin, but has the handy feature of being accessible completely from within the web browser. Neat idea, and one I’ve heard coming forward for other virtual worlds. It has a help forum in Google Groups, but I found the actual help in the browser kind of tricky to navigate and use. Easier to ask other avatars once you get in to the Lively world.
The way it worked when I tried it was (a) make an avatar; (b) pick a room to enter; (c) wait a really long time; (d) explore the various buttons to figure out what controls what, and use the mouse to move things around; (e) folks flirt and chat; (f) wonder what the heck happened when the computer crashes.
MAKE AN AVATAR
PICK A ROOM TO ENTER
* Usual Variety
* Popular Rooms
WAIT A LONG TIME
EXPLORE (and ASK FOR HELP)
FOLKS FLIRT & CHAT
* Notice the Embed Code?
I am totally enthralled by the idea of being able to embed the room into a web page, but did not get a chance to check that out or test it.
(PS – Don’t I Look Good? (althought I had nothing to do with it, of course – generic avatar))
OOPS! CRASHED … 😦
No picture here. 😦
What I thought was intriguing (beyond what is mentioned above) was the amazing variety of people in LIVELY already. I noticed a strong presence from people around all the other virtual worlds coming together here. I expect that LIVELY will quickly become an important location for developing consensus and collaboration across virtual world platforms, that people will share information about their favorite features and content of other virtual worlds, and that Google Lively will become both an important location for shared content and cross-fertilization of virtual worlds.
- Summer #Reading List: Chicago Authors Share 12 Picks for 2018 #books chicagotonight.wttw.com/2018/06/21/sum… 9 minutes ago
- Bad Blood Who gets credit for the technology to cut-and-paste the human genome? #crispr #comics #GraphicMedicine… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 10 minutes ago
- RT @SketchesbyBoze: feeling sick? depressed? ask yourself: - am I sleeping enough? - am I overworked? - was I cursed by a wood witch? -… 20 minutes ago
- RT @SharpIndex: Relevant questions for #PhysicianBurnout #burnout twitter.com/sketchesbyboze… 20 minutes ago
- RT @Okashido: Just when I start recording, I get all sick in my throat. https://t.co/X8CuE4RsBy 20 minutes ago