Tuesday Google announced their own virtual world, Lively.
ReadWriteWeb: Google Launches Virtual World: http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/lively_google_launches_virtual.php
Here is the Lively homepage, http://www.lively.com/.
It doesn’t like Macintoshes (and is kind of persnickety on PCs, even).
I borrowed a PC to test it out. It requires that you download a browser plugin, but has the handy feature of being accessible completely from within the web browser. Neat idea, and one I’ve heard coming forward for other virtual worlds. It has a help forum in Google Groups, but I found the actual help in the browser kind of tricky to navigate and use. Easier to ask other avatars once you get in to the Lively world.
The way it worked when I tried it was (a) make an avatar; (b) pick a room to enter; (c) wait a really long time; (d) explore the various buttons to figure out what controls what, and use the mouse to move things around; (e) folks flirt and chat; (f) wonder what the heck happened when the computer crashes.
MAKE AN AVATAR
PICK A ROOM TO ENTER
* Usual Variety
* Popular Rooms
WAIT A LONG TIME
EXPLORE (and ASK FOR HELP)
FOLKS FLIRT & CHAT
* Notice the Embed Code?
I am totally enthralled by the idea of being able to embed the room into a web page, but did not get a chance to check that out or test it.
(PS – Don’t I Look Good? (althought I had nothing to do with it, of course – generic avatar))
OOPS! CRASHED … 😦
No picture here. 😦
What I thought was intriguing (beyond what is mentioned above) was the amazing variety of people in LIVELY already. I noticed a strong presence from people around all the other virtual worlds coming together here. I expect that LIVELY will quickly become an important location for developing consensus and collaboration across virtual world platforms, that people will share information about their favorite features and content of other virtual worlds, and that Google Lively will become both an important location for shared content and cross-fertilization of virtual worlds.
- #staff200 #umich200 (@ University Of @MichiganAlumni Association in Ann Arbor, MI) swarmapp.com/c/lX2VdWhqE6L https://t.co/JMg7cSsCl0 1 hour ago
- President Schlissel at #Staff200 #UMich200 announcing a statue to honor UofM staff... swarmapp.com/c/l3kQaksXnrk https://t.co/nkriacKh1w 1 hour ago
- Trump appears to acknowledge Russia meddled in election, but blames Obama. slate.com/blogs/the_slat… 6 hours ago
- Arizona Already Tried What the GOP Wants to Do to Medicaid. It Was a Disaster. slate.com/articles/healt… 6 hours ago
- Arizona provides a bleak preview of America under the AHCA. slate.com/articles/healt… 6 hours ago