Many thanks to Betty Sheldon who hosted this month’s Cool Toys Conversation at the NCAC on North Campus, especially for her last minute troubleshooting to get a data projector for the room. As is expected in late August, it was a small but active group. (And I really mean active!)
BOOKS & READING
Hurst, Mark. Bit Literacy: Productivity in the Age of Information and E-mail Overload. [Not available in campus libraries]
Krug, Steve. Don’t Make Me Think: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability, 2nd Edition. http://mirlyn.lib.umich.edu:80/F/?func=direct&doc_number=005068288&local_base=AA_PUB
Housewright, Ross; Schonfeld, Roger. Ithaka’s 2006 Studies of Key Stakeholders in the Digital Transformation in Higher Education (August 18, 2008). [PDF] http://www.ithaka.org/research/Ithakas%202006%20Studies%20of%20Key%20Stakeholders%20in%20the%20Digital%20Transformation%20in%20Higher%20Education.pdf
* Discussion: Should small local newspapers survive as daily papers? What is lost when depending on general public for news? What is gained? What are challenges of building citizen journalism resources?
* Pros & Cons:
The Idea Factory: Propane depot explosions expose shortcomings in breaking news coverage by newspapers living in a Web 2.0 world: http://ideas.typepad.com/webu/2008/08/propane-depot-e.html
COMMUNITY DISASTER PLANNING & INFORMATION TOOLS
ETechLib: Maps, Mashups, and Mirrors, Oh, My! – Innovative Disaster Response & Tracking Tools: http://mblog.lib.umich.edu/etechlib/archives/2008/08/maps_mashups_an.html
UM Health Sciences Libraries: Avian Flu Guide: http://www.lib.umich.edu/hsl/guides/avianflu.html (fed by our Delicious account)
PERSONAL HEALTH & WELLNESS TOOLS
* Discussion: Use these for personal health management, teaching classes, promote a healthy student or employee lifestyle.
ETechLib: Welcome to Virtual Abilities: Assistive Tech Meets 3d Virtual Worlds: http://mblog.lib.umich.edu/etechlib/archives/2008/08/welcome_to_virt.html
ETechLib: My Top Ten Tools Today: http://mblog.lib.umich.edu/etechlib/archives/2008/08/my_top_ten_tool.html
Map A List: http://mapalist.com/
NOTE: Take an address list and create a private or shareable or embeddable Google maps display.
NOTE: Map where your students come from for your department.
iGoogle: http://igoogle.com/ OR http://www.google.com/ig
iGoogle Tab sharing with University of Michigan Health Sciences Library: http://digicmb.blogspot.com/2008/08/igoogle-map-sharing-with-university-of.html
NOTE: Personal efficiency — aggregating tools such as calendars, to do lists, table of contents for frequently used journals, personalized search tools, etc.
NOTE 2: Institutional branding and sharing of tools and widgets.
NOTE: Promote your media widely – send your videos to most all the video sharing sites, send your images to all the photo sharing sites, etc.
ETechLib: A.viary.com – A Sweet Suite of Online Graphic Tools: http://mblog.lib.umich.edu/etechlib/archives/2008/08/aviarycom_-_a_s.html
SOCIAL & PROFESSIONAL NETWORKING TOOLS
* Discussion: Ethics & politics of falsified information on these tools, of people who give recommendations to get them.
Linked In: http://www.linkedin.com/
TOOLS FOR RESEARCH
Mendeley Announcement: http://www.mendeley.com/blog/2008/08/press-release-research-sharing-start-up-mendeley-launches-with-support-of-lastfm-chairman-and-skypes-former-founding-engineers/
TOOLS FOR TEACHING/LEARNING
Problem: students sometimes try to use these to cheat.
Solution: Assign project work for teams rather than individual task assignments.
NOTE: For students struggling with mat concepts, more than just a calculator, this tool illustrates the steps and solution process for math problems entered (from basic math and algebra to calculus).
NOTE: Match software projects to people with skills.
Schaum’s Outlines: http://www.mhprofessional.com/category/?cat=145
ETechLib: Widgets for Webmasters: http://mblog.lib.umich.edu/etechlib/archives/2008/08/via_slideshare.html
- RT @NoetheMatt: Time for French Comics Kiss Better! #alaac18 https://t.co/IZ2CL0apmi 6 hours ago
- RT @Karnythia: I just want white women to pour all their outraged "I was told by Applecare, BBQ'ing without a permit, selling water without… 6 hours ago
- RT @DrSGraff: Spending a weekend at home. Helped my dad with feeding on the farm this morning. Hard to say who was more surprised - the chi… 6 hours ago
- RT @SharpIndex: Optimum Health IT spoke with @CoherenceMed about the anniversary of John dying and the ongoing problem of Physician Suicide… 6 hours ago
- RT @npquarterly: A cautionary tale on just how complicated relationships between nonprofits and local government can get: https://t.co/yVqP… 6 hours ago