This post started as my telling my colleagues in a meeting about a social network I thought they’d enjoy.
At the previous Cool Toys Conversations meeting, someone had told me they like to use SparkPeople to analyze the nutritional value of recipes. Hey, that is useful, I thought! So I mentioned it. They said, “You should do a blogpost. Just a simple one.” Famous last words, right?
The next day I found another fitness / nutrition community. Then I found a nutrition-only network. And it kept going — more and more. Quickly the number of tools and communities I found far outstripped anything appropriate for a blogpost, so we are now planning a mini-class overview of Food and Nutrition Online Communities. If we’re lucky, maybe right before Thanksgiving?
Meanwhile, I checked out SparkPeople for the rumored recipe analysis, and here are some screenshots to show how you’d get there.
SparkPeople: Getting Started with the Nutrition Tracker:
SparkPeople: Nutrition: Meal Plans:
SparkPeople: Nutrition: Add a Food:
NOTE: Did you see the Serving Size Calculator in the upper right hand corner of the picture above?
SparkPeople: Nutrition: Find a Food:
SparkPeople: Nutrition: Create a Food Not Listed:
NOTE: You would use this when you are using a food in a recipe or meal plan that isn’t already in their database. For myself, this is often when it is an old family recipe that starts with a mix or prepackaged food of some sort, and I will use the nutrition data from the packaging information.
Okay, not go have fun. We can get into more detail in the class, later.
- RT @wareFLO: BTW #HCSMSA Pls join @janicemccallum #Firetalk on #Healthbots #Chatbot 12:30PM EST Mon 1/23! firetalk.com/events/rJ7Wnvc… #HITsm #H… 17 hours ago
- RT @ImpakterMag: Focus is up: "The Sustainable Development Goals and Our Youth" buff.ly/2iARSGR by @Youth_Forum #sdgs #globalgoals… 17 hours ago
- RT @ImpakterMag: "Susan Kim,a Ceo building the largest global #foodie community" buff.ly/2jzfl9Q #Nomnom #foodporn @eatwith https:/… 17 hours ago
- RT @ImpakterMag: Diary of a UN Official N.3: When #Women Make the Difference buff.ly/2iY2hdo #gendereqaulity #sdgs https://t.co/BQ… 17 hours ago
- RT @ImpakterMag: "The Business of Bottled Water" buff.ly/2jeI4RA #water #business #sdg6 https://t.co/31zAK3eROi 17 hours ago