This post started as my telling my colleagues in a meeting about a social network I thought they’d enjoy.
At the previous Cool Toys Conversations meeting, someone had told me they like to use SparkPeople to analyze the nutritional value of recipes. Hey, that is useful, I thought! So I mentioned it. They said, “You should do a blogpost. Just a simple one.” Famous last words, right?
The next day I found another fitness / nutrition community. Then I found a nutrition-only network. And it kept going — more and more. Quickly the number of tools and communities I found far outstripped anything appropriate for a blogpost, so we are now planning a mini-class overview of Food and Nutrition Online Communities. If we’re lucky, maybe right before Thanksgiving?
Meanwhile, I checked out SparkPeople for the rumored recipe analysis, and here are some screenshots to show how you’d get there.
SparkPeople: Getting Started with the Nutrition Tracker:
SparkPeople: Nutrition: Meal Plans:
SparkPeople: Nutrition: Add a Food:
NOTE: Did you see the Serving Size Calculator in the upper right hand corner of the picture above?
SparkPeople: Nutrition: Find a Food:
SparkPeople: Nutrition: Create a Food Not Listed:
NOTE: You would use this when you are using a food in a recipe or meal plan that isn’t already in their database. For myself, this is often when it is an old family recipe that starts with a mix or prepackaged food of some sort, and I will use the nutrition data from the packaging information.
Okay, not go have fun. We can get into more detail in the class, later.
- RT @NoetheMatt: Going to #mlanet18? Have an interest in #medhums? Come to the first Medical Humanities SIG Business Meeting! https://t.co/… 4 minutes ago
- Sonnet form poets.org/poetsorg/text/… | en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonnet | rc.umd.edu/sites/default/… | sonnets.org/basicforms.htm | 7 minutes ago
- RT @ScottJaschik: A professor who is gun-owner explains why teachers at any level should not be armed and charged with protecting some stud… 25 minutes ago
- Cost to governments of allowing the disease to progress to chronic runs to the billions, easily >> The Financial Im… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 26 minutes ago
- Demystifying Evidence-Based Policy Analysis by Revealing Hidden Value-Laden Constraints. ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29453834 FY… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 28 minutes ago