This post started as my telling my colleagues in a meeting about a social network I thought they’d enjoy.
At the previous Cool Toys Conversations meeting, someone had told me they like to use SparkPeople to analyze the nutritional value of recipes. Hey, that is useful, I thought! So I mentioned it. They said, “You should do a blogpost. Just a simple one.” Famous last words, right?
The next day I found another fitness / nutrition community. Then I found a nutrition-only network. And it kept going — more and more. Quickly the number of tools and communities I found far outstripped anything appropriate for a blogpost, so we are now planning a mini-class overview of Food and Nutrition Online Communities. If we’re lucky, maybe right before Thanksgiving?
Meanwhile, I checked out SparkPeople for the rumored recipe analysis, and here are some screenshots to show how you’d get there.
SparkPeople: Getting Started with the Nutrition Tracker:
SparkPeople: Nutrition: Meal Plans:
SparkPeople: Nutrition: Add a Food:
NOTE: Did you see the Serving Size Calculator in the upper right hand corner of the picture above?
SparkPeople: Nutrition: Find a Food:
SparkPeople: Nutrition: Create a Food Not Listed:
NOTE: You would use this when you are using a food in a recipe or meal plan that isn’t already in their database. For myself, this is often when it is an old family recipe that starts with a mix or prepackaged food of some sort, and I will use the nutrition data from the packaging information.
Okay, not go have fun. We can get into more detail in the class, later.
- Wondrous music at today’s Mass ustream.tv/channel/when-n… #stfrancisA2 (@ St Francis of Assisi Catholic Church in Ann… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 44 minutes ago
- RT @SobiaNaz77: @choo_ek vice.com/en_us/article/… 56 minutes ago
- RT @ZackBergerMDPhD: Call the Office of Refugee Resettlement at 202.401.9246. Ask how many children EXACTLY are unaccounted for IN TOTAL.… 56 minutes ago
- RT @hjelle_brian: @girlsreallyrule Called the tipline to report the terrorism behind ICE.losing 1500 children. They blamed it on ORR but I… 56 minutes ago
- RT @girlsreallyrule: For those of you emailing ICE, the UN, the WH or Congress: you always want to call or show up in person (fax is great… 56 minutes ago