Global Digital Statistics 2014: Social, Digital & Mobile Around The World (January 2014) http://www.slideshare.net/wearesocialsg/social-digital-mobile-around-the-world-january-2014
Consider this slide deck from We Are Social a reference resource. I know many of the departments recruit students from other parts of the world. This is a great resource to give both a high level overview of how people around the world tend to use various types of technologies, as well as a comparison metrics at the level of individual countries, so you can plan appropriate and respectful strategies for approaching a specific community. Some folk also use this to plan for travel, so they have an idea what resources will be easy to access in a given location.
They also do a lovely job of providing their sources, which are worth repeating here.
* China Internet Network Information Center (CNNIC): http://www1.cnnic.cn/ 32nd Statistical Report on Internet Development: http://www1.cnnic.cn/AU/MediaC/rdxw/hotnews/201307/t20130722_40723.htm
* Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ Newsroom: http://newsroom.fb.com/ Key Facts: http://newsroom.fb.com/Key-Facts
* International Telecommunication Union (ITU): http://www.itu.int/ Statistics http://www.itu.int/en/ITU-D/Statistics/Pages/stat/default.aspx
* Internet World Stats: http://www.internetworldstats.com/
* TenCent (China): http://www.tencent.com/en-us/index.shtml
* US CIA: World Factbook: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/ Internet Users: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2153rank.html
* US Census: http://www.census.gov/
* VKontakte (Russia): http://vk.com/club200
On the other hand, sometimes, while searching for links for these, I found other resources that are at least as useful, if not more so. Then I would also stumble on special tools, apps and infographics! Enjoy!
MORE INTERNET STATISTICS
Internet Census 2012: http://internetcensus2012.bitbucket.org/paper.html
Internet Security Census 2013: http://www.fortinet.com/resource_center/survey/internet-security-census-2013-global-survey.html
OpenNet Initiative (Internet Censorship): https://opennet.net/
Social Bakers: Facebook Statistics: http://www.socialbakers.com/facebook-statistics/
W3Techs (Web Technology Surveys): http://w3techs.com/ Technologies: http://w3techs.com/technologies/ Languages Used: http://w3techs.com/technologies/overview/content_language/all
Wikipedia: Global Internet Usage: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Internet_usage
NOTE: This one has great graphs.
World Map of Social Networks: http://vincos.it/world-map-of-social-networks/
US Census Mobile App (dwellr): http://www.census.gov/mobile/
US Census: Data Visualization of the Week: Total Population and Population Missing Due to HIV/AIDS Epidemics: 2012; Selected Countries in Sub-Saharan Africa http://www.census.gov/dataviz/visualizations/062/?intcmp=sldr7
US Census: Infographics Highlight the History and Measurement of Poverty: http://www.census.gov/newsroom/releases/archives/poverty/cb14-tps02.html